Detroit’s Holy Trinity Church to offer prayers in honor of icon of St. Anna
DETROIT, MI — The Miraculous Icon of St. Anna, the Mother of the Holy Virgin Mary, from the Monastery of St. Tikhon of Zadonsk in Pennsylvania, will visit Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, 20500 Anglin St., in November.
In honor of the icon, the Rev. Lev Kopistiansky, rector of Holy Trinity, will offer a prayer service to St. Anna on Saturday, Nov. 30 at 11 a.m. The service will be free of charge and open to the public. Donations to support the monastery will be collected. For further information, call Fr. Kopistiansky at (313) 366-0677.
The Icon of St. Anna was written [painted] in the Mount of Olives Convent in Jerusalem in 1998. It was then blessed at the Sepulcher of Our Lord in the Jerusalem Church of the Resurrection and brought to the Russian Orthodox Church of Our Lady of Joy of All Who Sorrow in Philadelphia.
On Mother’s Day, May 9, 2004, the icon began to stream or weep myrrh. Accumulations of the liquid were seen on the cuff on St. Anna’s left hand and on her left shoulder veil. Droplets were also found elsewhere on the icon. More recently small, slow-moving streams of myrrh have appeared on other parts of the icon.
The icon has resided at the Monastery of St. Tikhon since the fall of 2012. Currently, it is not weeping but continues to produce miraculous help and healings, according to the monastery. For further information, visit the monastery’s website at www.sttikhonsmonastery.org/stanna.html.
Further information on iconography can be found on numerous Orthodox Christian websites, including Orthodox Christian Information Center at http://orthodoxinfo.com/general/gen_icons.aspx and OrthodoxWiki at www.orthodoxwiki.org/Icons.
Holy Trinity is a parish in the Diocese of Chicago and the Midwest of the Orthodox Church in America. Founded in 1915, it is one of the oldest Orthodox parishes in Detroit. For further information, visit its website at www.holytrinitydetroit.org.