110 Year Old Cupolas Receive Facelift
CHICAGO, IL [Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral/Larisa Fetterly] — On Sunday, September 8th, parishioners of Holy Trinity Orthodox Cathedral were given an up-close look at the newly “Millennium” clad cross intended for mounting on the cupola high atop the Chicago Landmark’s dome at 1121 N. Leavitt Street.
The three-bar, Russian-style cross measuring over 6 feet tall and covered a gold-finish anodized metal, received a traditional Orthodox Christian blessing and a shower of holy water repeated three times by the Cathedral’s Dean, Archpriest John S. Adamcio. Throughout the Divine Liturgy, the mirror-like cladding material reflected lit candles and images of saints depicted on the church’s ornate icons.
“We chose this material because it is expected to last for decades, as opposed to gold leaf, which is not as durable,” said Joseph Mamczij, president of the parish council and chairman of Holy Trinity’s Building and Restoration committee. “Our goal continues to be to preserve this building for future generations to come. We are very excited to see this project underway.” Founded in 1892 and consecrated by St. Tikhon of Moscow in 1903, Holy Trinity Cathedral is home to the second oldest Orthodox parish in Chicago.
Workers from the Albert J. Wagner Company, Chicago, have now begun cladding the dome cupola with the Millennium material. Within the next two weeks the cross is expected to be installed atop the completed cupola, coinciding with the Orthodox feast of the Exaltation of the Cross, on September 14th. The existing scaffolding will then be moved to the Cathedral’s bell tower, located towards the front of the church on Leavitt Street, so the second and final cupola can be clad as well.
The entire project will cost the parish $50,000 and is expected to be completed by the end of October 2013, in time for the feast of St. John of Chicago. Thus far, the parish has raised just over $7,000 and continues to seek donations. Those interested in supporting the work can visit www.friendsofholytrinity.com or contact the Cathedral at 773-486-6064 for more information.
Father John Kochurov served as Holy Trinity’s first priest and rector and guided the famous American architect Louis Sullivan during its construction in the early part of the 20th century. Father John was later canonized a priest-martyr, having been murdered on October 31,1917, following his return to Russia and the subsequent Bolshevik Revolution.
Located in the heart of Chicago’s historic Ukrainian Village-Wicker Park neighborhood, Holy Trinity has been a vital part of the community for more than a century. It’s an official City of Chicago Landmark and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Today, it’s the center of religious life for Orthodox faithful of varied ethnic backgrounds and holds services in English.