The Department has been offering high quality, in-person seminars every year since its establishment in 2013. “First Thursdays” represents a change of philosophy for clergy continuing education.
“Like everyone else, we’ve rethought our practices and expectations in the face of the pandemic,” said Archpriest Ian Pac-Urar, Director of the Department. “Moving online will make it easy for clergy to interact with excellent presenters, wherever they may live and serve.”
“To simplify things even further,“ Father Ian continued, “We’ve suspended the annual 20-hour requirement and registration fee. Participation is voluntary and clergy are not asked to report their hours. Our message to clergy is, ‘Just come!’”
Registration is required. To sign up for the series, use this link. All sessions are held on the third Thursday of the month, at 7:00 pm ET. The schedule for 2021 includes:
- February 18 Keynote: His Beatitude Metropolitan Tikhon, Primate of the Orthodox Church in America
- March 18 Servant Leadership: an Orthodox Christian Model: Hollie Benton, The Orthodox Christian Leadership Initiative
- April 15 Suffering and the Human Person: Competing Anthropologies: Dr. Daniel Hinshaw
- May 20 Touch and Healing: The Incarnation Transforming Reality: Dr. Daniel Hinshaw
- June 17 Strategic Planning for Parishes: Protodeacon Peter Danilchik
- July 15 Strategic Planning for Parishes Pt. 2: Protodeacon Peter Danilchik
- August 19 Assembly of Bishops Committee for Pastoral Practice: Topic TBA
- September 16 Quality of Life and Suffering: Kenosis and Deification: Dr. Daniel Hinshaw
- October 21 Financial Stewardship: Strategies for Giving: Fathers Nick Hubbard and Benjamin Kjendal
- November 18 TBA
Questions about the series may be directed to email@example.com.