ASTORIA, NY [DOM Communications] – The Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting offers up to two $1000 scholarships for 2020. The applicants are selected by demonstrating love of God and the Orthodox Christian Faith through service, scholarship, leadership, and practical citizenship in their Church, school, Scouting unit, and community, as the EOCS website explains.
To be eligible, one must:
1. Be a registered active member of a Scouting program that is recognized by EOCS: Scouts BSA (Boy Scouts), Venturing, Exploring, Girl Scouts of the USA, Trail Life USA, American Heritage Girls, and Camp Fire.
2. Be a communicant in an Eastern Orthodox Christian Church recognized by the Assembly of Canonical Orthodox Bishops of the USA: Albanian Orthodox, Antiochian Orthodox, Bulgarian Orthodox, Carpatho-Russian Orthodox, Georgian Orthodox, Greek Orthodox, Orthodox Church in America (OCA), Romanian Orthodox, Russian Orthodox (Moscow Patriarchate), Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR), Serbian Orthodox, Ukrainian Orthodox.
3. Have earned the highest award of an EOCS recognized Scouting program (e.g., Eagle, Gold). Explorers and Venturers must have attained Eagle Scout.
4. Have earned the EOCS Alpha Omega Religious Award.
5. Be enrolled in the final year of an accredited high school. Home-schooled students should contact the Scholarship Chairman for guidance in completing the application.
January 1 – May 1: Complete and submit applications
May 1: All applications and supporting materials due
June 1: Scholarship recipients notified
Two of the Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting Scholarship 2019 recipients are from the Diocese of the Midwest: Alexis Moulton and Nathaniel Sawchak who are members of Holy Trinity Orthodox Church in Overland Park, Kansas.
Scholarships are contingent upon acceptance to an accredited four-year college or university. For more information, please visit, https://www.eocs.org/