CHICAGO, IL [MW DIOCESE COMMUNICATIONS] — A number of events will take place in the Diocese of the Midwest in the coming year, 2020, to mark the 50th anniversary of the Tomos of Autocephaly. In a letter addressed to all the faithful of the Diocese of the Midwest, His Grace, Bishop Paul states his wish for the tone of the Midwest Diocese’s celebration to be, “joyful yet both sober, and humble, and one of self-reflection.” The full text of His Grace’s letter may be read or downloaded here.
Starting in January 2020, a series of monthly articles reflecting on the Autocephaly will be posted on the Diocesan Website starting in January of 2020 and continuing to the end of the year. A Diocesan pilgrimage to Alaska will take place from August 19th to 25th, 2020. Finally, each of the Diocese’s six Deaneries will hold its own celebration throughout the year, gathered round the diocesan hierarch, who will be present at each deanery celebration.
A summary and general description of each deanery celebration is as follows:
- Chicago Deanery: February 7 and 8, 2020, Speaker: Fr. Andrew Harrison at Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church, Palatine, IL and Ss. Peter and Paul Orthodox Church, Burr Ridge, IL;
- Michigan Deanery: April 24 and 25, 2020 Speaker: Fr. Alexander Garklavs at Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church, Livonia, MI and St. Mark Orthodox Church, Rochester, MI;
- Minneapolis Deanery: May 8 and 9, 2020 Speaker: Alex Liberovsky at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Minneapolis, MINN;
- Cleveland Deanery: June 12 and 13, 2020 Speaker: Fr. Alexander Garklavs at Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, Parma, OH;
- Indianapolis Deanery: October 9 and 10, 2020 Speakers: Fr. Steven Kostoff, Fr. Joel Weir at Christ the Savior/Holy Spirit, Cincinnati, OH;
- Kansas City Deanery: November 6 and 7, 2020 Speaker: Fr. John Erickson at Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, Overland Park, KS. A concert of compositions by the late Fr. John Platko will be sung by the Holy Trinity choir Friday evening.